history

Crossing the St. Johns

In 1816, settler Lewis Hogans married a Spanish widow who held a grant of 200 acres on what is now the city of Jacksonville. There, he built an inn and operated the first ferry across the St. Johns River. In 1890, Henry Flagler completed construction of the first railroad bridge across the St. Johns, shifting commerce and tourism away from the river. The first of seven automobile bridges in Jacksonville over the St. Johns was built in 1921. This bridge was originally called the St. Johns River Bridge and later became known as the Acosta Bridge.

Crossing the St. Johns