Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
During the turn of the century, the Cummer family incorporated Cummer Sons Cypress Co. and went on to become one of the largest lumber manufacturers in Florida. Enjoying their success, Arthur & Ninah Cummer built and occupied a lavish tutor home on the banks of the St Johns River from 1902 to 1958. During this time, Ninah meticulously tended her formal gardens, co-founded the Garden Club of Jacksonville, and was largely involved with the Florida Federation of Garden Clubs. In her will, Ninah provided for a foundation to establish an art gallery on the site of her own home. The gallery opened in 1961 with Ninah’s own 60-piece collection. The Cummer Museum collection is continuously growing, and Ninah’s gardens are historically preserved and tended by museum volunteers.