Draining The Headwaters Of The St. Johns
In 1911, the Fellsmere Farms Company began a massive land development project to drain 118,000 acres of land at the headwaters of the St. Johns River. By the time the project had ended, 33 miles of levies had been constructed, and 67 miles of canals and 215 miles of drainage ditches had been dug. From 1900 to 1970, developers drained as much as 300,000 acres of the Upper St. Johns River Basin. More than 70 percent of the marsh was claimed for agricultural and urban uses.