history

Fort Caroline

The first outpost on the St. Johns, Fort Caroline, was established by the French in 1562 (50 years before the first English settlement in Jamestown, VA). The French called the river Rivière du Mai, River of May, because they arrived there on May 1. In 1565, Spanish soldiers marched north from St. Augustine and captured Ft. Caroline, re-naming the river San Mateo in honor of a saint whose feast followed the day of capture.

Fort Caroline