Join a St. Johns Riverkeeper Educator the third or fourth Wednesday of the month on board the St. Johns River Water Taxi! Through a generous donation from CSX, St. Johns Riverkeeper is able to offer (4) 50 minute educational boat trips each month at a reduced rate.
Learn about your St. Johns River and ways that you can help protect it. These trips coincide with MOSH’s Homeschool Day, but participation at MOSH is not required. Trips depart from Friendship Fountain Park.
Please note: boat trip direction and hands-on activity are the same month to month, but the river issues discussed changes depending on what we see and questions from the group.
- In order to secure spots for a particular time, payment must be made before the day of the program. Once a trip is sold out, no further tickets will be available for purchase.
- Parent(s) must accompany their child(ren).
- Refunds or exchanges will not be given to late or no-show groups. Ticket exchange is available up to the discretion of a St. Johns Riverkeeper Educator and boat capacity.
- Trips will occur rain or shine. If a trip is to be cancelled, we will notify you the day before through email. All purchased tickets will be honored on a future trip as long as there is space available (registration required).
- The Water Taxi is a U.S. Coast Guard inspected vessel with a licensed captain; it is equipped with Type II lifejackets for the capacity of the vessel. Type III lifejackets are not required to be worn but are available upon request.
Free for children 2 and under (registration still required)
$5/student (ages 3-17)
$10/adult (ages 18+)
Military discount available using code MilEco20
Register for one of our upcoming Homeschool Ecotours
Trip times are 10am, 11am, 1pm, and 2pm
Come to Us!
St. Johns Riverkeeper’s office is located right on the St. Johns River in Jacksonville University’s Marine Science Research Institute (MSRI). Take your students out on the river, discover what it takes to be a marine science college student, utilize a college lab to study microscopic organisms, or learn about research going on in the St. Johns River from one of the world-renowned professors. Let us design a program for your group. Rates and participation number vary based on the chosen program.
Up to 40 students and 10 teachers/chaperones, 2 hours
Bring the excitement of studying the St. Johns River to your Homeschool Co-Op through our Outreach Program. St. Johns Riverkeeper offers a wide range of programs, which last 45 – 90 minutes and can be presented in your classroom or event space. Please visit our Classroom Program page for age appropriate lessons that we can bring to you!
Up to 25 students
Do some good in your neighborhood! There is no better way to have an immediate and direct positive impact on our St. Johns River than participating in a river clean up. We guide you through a safe and meaningful river clean up while also discussing current issues affecting the health of the St Johns. Students will work to understand their impact while also being out in their community making a difference. Riverkeeper Educators will provide an educational component prior to the cleanup, safety will be discussed, and materials (provided by Riverkeeper) will be distributed. This is a hands-on learning opportunity that engages our future advocates to learn about the St. Johns River and local issues. Also a great opportunity for teens to earn community service hours, earn scout badges, and an after school program activity.
Up to 50 students and 10 teachers/chaperones, 2 hours
Want to help cleanup the St. Johns River every month? Join us for our monthly cleanup on McCoys Creek in our River’s Lower Basin led by Rising Tides, our Young Professionals Group. Visit our Events page for more information. Waiver forms required for anyone under the age of 18.
St. Johns RIVERKEEPER is a privately-funded, independent and trusted voice for the St. Johns River and the public to whom it belongs. We are a 501(c)(3) organization and rely on the support of our members, donors, and volunteers to accomplish our mission. Please consider making a donation to support our educational programming.
Suggested donation, $5 per person