The Great St. Johns River Cleanup, supported by Bronco Wild Fund and your Local Ford Dealers, is underway – running March 18 through April 22 (Earth Day), 2023 – and so many of you have already participated! There are organized cleanups coming up throughout the watershed – but whether or not you can make it to one of those, you can still clean on your own. Check out all of the upcoming cleanups you can join.
Here’s your easy step-by-step guide for cleaning on your own:
- Recruit your family/friends and pick a date. More hands will pick up more trash, and make it fun! But even one person (YOU) can make a difference.
- Decide where you want to clean, and figure out how it is connected to the St. Johns River. For example, there might be a tributary in your neighborhood that runs into the St. Johns or a nearby waterfront park on the river. Of course, trash can make its way to our river through storm drains, so you can also make a difference by cleaning up in your neighborhood, too. Just don’t go onto private property unless you have permission from the owner.
- Gather your supplies. We suggest having a bag(s) to collect your trash, gloves to protect your hands, and closed-toe shoes (rain boots or waders will help you get the good stuff!).
- Identify a location you can dispose of your trash when you’re done. For instance, plan to put it out with your household trash or use a public trash receptacle.
- Get to work! Make it fun for the group – give kudos for most trash collected and most interesting object found!
- Post a photo of your trash haul on social media and let us know how much trash you picked up! Use #StJohnsRiverCleanup and tag @sjriverkeeper and @yoursfd on Instagram, then fill out this form for your chance to win a $1,000 Visa Gift Card from your Local Ford Dealers. And, spread the word to your friends about the work you did, For the River and For Us All!
Check out our video tutorial on Instagram!
You can enter to win the social media contest prize of $1,000 by either collecting trash on your own or participating in an official cleanup. View the official contest rules.